Canal+ to Blacklist Petition Signatories Against Bolloré

Canal+ head says company will stop working with cinema figures who signed a petition against Vincent Bolloré's influence.

Canal+ to Blacklist Petition Signatories Against Bolloré

Image: theguardian.com

The head of Canal+, France's largest film producer, announced on May 18, 2026, that the company will no longer work with hundreds of cinema figures who signed an open letter expressing concern over the growing influence of rightwing billionaire Vincent Bolloré. The letter, published earlier this year, criticized Bolloré's media holdings and their impact on French culture.

In a statement, Canal+ CEO Maxime Saada said the company would 'cease all professional relations' with signatories, citing a breach of trust. The petition, signed by over 600 actors, directors, and producers, had called for limits on Bolloré's media power, which includes ownership of the CNews channel and other outlets.

Bolloré, a conservative media magnate, has faced criticism for promoting right-wing viewpoints through his media empire. Canal+ is a subsidiary of Vivendi, which is controlled by Bolloré. The move has sparked debate about free speech and corporate influence in French cinema.

❓ Frequently Asked Questions

What did the petition against Vincent Bolloré say?

The open letter expressed concern over the growing influence of rightwing billionaire Vincent Bolloré on French media and culture, calling for limits on his media power.

How many people signed the petition?

Over 600 actors, directors, and producers signed the petition.

What is Canal+?

Canal+ is France's largest film producer and a subsidiary of Vivendi, which is controlled by Vincent Bolloré.

📰 Source:
theguardian.com →
Share: