Middlesbrough Council in talks with tent campers

Middlesbrough Council says it is engaging with rough sleepers who pitched tents outside the civic centre.

Middlesbrough Council in talks with tent campers

Image: gazettelive.co.uk

Middlesbrough Council has said it is “engaging” with rough sleepers who have set up tents outside the civic centre, according to a report by the Local Democracy Reporting Service on August 21, 2026.

The council confirmed that its outreach team has been in contact with the individuals to offer support and advice, including access to accommodation and services. A spokesperson said the council is “committed to helping those in need” and is working with partner agencies to address the situation.

The tents appeared earlier this week, drawing attention from passers-by and prompting questions about the council’s response. The council has not confirmed how many people are involved or how long they have been there.

Local charities and housing groups have urged the council to ensure that any action taken is compassionate and prioritises the welfare of the rough sleepers. The council has said it will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as necessary.

❓ Frequently Asked Questions

What is Middlesbrough Council doing about the tents outside the civic centre?

The council says it is engaging with the rough sleepers through its outreach team, offering support and advice on accommodation and services.

How many people are camped outside the civic centre?

The council has not confirmed the number of people involved or how long they have been there.

What have local charities said about the situation?

Local charities and housing groups have urged the council to ensure any action is compassionate and prioritises the welfare of the rough sleepers.

📰 Source:
gazettelive.co.uk →
Share: